On 1907, khaki colour campaign/service dress was adopted by the British Army, for its Household Army Troops as well for the forces stationed abroad. On 7 July 1908, a new khaki service/campaign uniform was introduced in the Hellenic (Greek) Αrmy (H.A.). Greece, is universally the second country to switch from it’s ‘colorful’ (Dark Blue, as for most armies of the World) uniforms of the past to a new one, appropriate for modern warfare. The tunic of the H.A. M1908 khaki dress, almost identical to the British Army Pattern 1907, remained in production for the H.A. till 1938 with minor modifications only. Made of wool, to be worn buttoned with a row of five regular-sized metal buttons (painted ranging from greenish to brownish khaki color shades), it had four large square-shaped pockets with buttoned flaps (chest and sides). The collar of the M1938 tunic was modified from stand & fold to a plain fold design. The standard H.A. leather belt issued to all personnel was held high above the waist by means of two brass hooks stitched at the side seams of the tunic. From 1938 until the outbreak of WW 2, several thousand uniforms were manufactured according to the latter model, by the two principal military factories in Greece. These products came in variants in fabric colour shade, as well in the cut procedure. This design was further simpified during the early stages of the 1940-1941 war, to save both time and material.
Colour representations may vary from actual colours