During the 1st WW, Greece, Belgium, Serbia, Portugal and Romania failed to construct their own gas masks so were supplied with French or English gas masks.The French M2 gas mask was used from April 1916 until August 1918 and proved to be a very effective protection. The M2 was stored in a half-circle shaped pouch or in a rectangular metal tin. The M2 was manufactured in large quantities with approximately 29,300,000 masks produced between February 1916 and end of the war. The M2 was issued in large numbers to the Greek Army (4th Regiment of the Archipelago Division) in the Macedonian front. The metal tins were painted with the French horizon blue or repainted with Greek khaki. The tin case manufactured by Khaki Depot can house one original mask M2 or a copy. On the outside is written.. Gas Mask Against Asphyxiating Gases French model M2..